- Was the remit of the first director, Henry Cole, that the V&A should be a "classroom for everyone" successful?
- Do stories/legends behind objects make them more potent?
- Historically, did design reflect contemporary trends? Can you give an example?
- Many of the objects are made by unknown artisans. How do they compare with pieces created by the great masters, such as Raphael?
- Do you agree with William Morris "Have nothing in your house that you know not to be beautiful or useful"
- Have you been to the V&A before? Did I miss your favorite object?
Watch On Demand, Submit Questions to Your Expert
Learn Now with Context on Demand. Enjoy this 60-minute webinar that can be watched immediately — or up to 40 days after purchase. As you watch, you can submit questions, thoughts, or comments that will be answered by the expert. Guided discussion questions and recommended reading lists to support further learning on the topic will also be provided. Additional FAQ answers are available below.
About Your Expert
Hattie has a degree in History of Art and an MA in Historic Interiors, she has a life-long passion and fascination in Fine and Decorative Arts, particularly works produced in Europe from the 16th to 18th century. After working for the Royal Collection in the Print Room at Windsor Castle, she was a curator for a private collector of 17th and 18th century prints and drawings. Hattie has worked for London's foremost framer of important old master paintings during which time she sharpened her appreciation and understanding of the decorative arts and the changing tastes of collecting. Recently she has been dealing in prints and works of art as well as taking groups of all ages to museums and galleries.
Immediately after checkout, you will be emailed your order confirmation. This will contain a link saying "Watch Now."
Each presentation is approximately 60 minutes long.
Your webinar is available to re-watch for up to 40 days from the date of purchase. Use the link in your order confirmation email to re-visit the classroom.
Input your questions into the form below your video screen on the "Watch Now" page.
This conversation is suitable for all ages.
60 minutes, including a 30 minute Q&A.